The concept of smart cities is based on the development of an urban area that uses different Electronic Techniques and sensors to promote efficient living with 5G, its efficiency is meant to benefit organizations as well as its inhabitants.
As technology continues to grow and innovation improving smart cities are now the future. These areas will use the Internet of Things(IoT) to effectively collect data in a real-time environment and using it quickly to develop low-cost solutions based on the available patterns.
Once such cities are implemented they are expected to run on ICT Frameworks that depend on centers and are connected to several dedicated networks of data centers, home appliances, and mobile devices amongst others.
How will 5G help in the development of Future Smart Cities?
Why 5G is important for the development of smart cities? Technology is an important character in the development of any smart city. It’s clear that the world is rapidly evolving and the future is now smart cities but the development of 5G means that it’s now time to develop smart cities.
Well 5G has features that makes its usability exquisite, they are beyond the usual expectations this technology has the following key components:
- Virtually Zero Latency
- A Faster Response Time
- Flexibility in Software Upgrade
- 100 times more effective in connecting more devices
- Its speeds can get up to the highs of 10 gigabytes per second
- Extremely High Capacity
- Connects to a Wide Range of Applications
5G Technology Significance in the development of Smart Cities:
This technology has standards that have never been developed or used before. Its significance in the future of smart cities includes providing a unified standard that’s ideal for use globally, providing network availability everywhere, this will enhance how people use their computers and smartphones. 5G will create a real Wi-Fi zone in the world and this is important for the communication of smart cities.
It IPV6 technology will ensure that visiting care of mobile IP addresses are assigned depending on geographical position and the connected network. It’s based on Cognitive Radio Technology and this will facilitate the sharing of the same radio spectrum by different types of radio technologies.
5G and the Future of Smart Cities:
1. Improved transport systems:
Even though Smart Cities have not been fully developed when it comes to traffic this is a major issue. Currently, in cities, “Millions of people waste more than 50 hours annually stuck in traffic”. This has a direct impact on Productivity, Health Issues, and CO2 emissions.
2. Enhance Transport Services:
5G technology’s main focus in the development of smart cities will be to enhance transport services. For instance, Verizon Wireless one of the biggest telephone companies globally is trying to develop a 5G traffic management system. Verizon Wireless will be developing its traffic management system in California, this system will use IoT sensors placed on street lights and inside pavements to determine the local traffic flow. This information is expected to help reduce the car idle time by 44%. The result is that the city will have an efficient traffic flow and reduced CO2 emissions.
3. Intelligent transportation management system:
5G will help to create an Intelligent Transportation Management System thereby revolutionizing transport in smart cities with the Development of Autonomous Cars things are definitely bound to change.
4. Improved Digital Experiences:
This 5G technology has several beneficial features that can help improve digital experiences and the development of smart cities
- The development of smart cities that use the internet and smart devices will be at an all-time high this will lead to high latency times. However, 5G is designed to offer high speeds for Uploading and Downloading data it will be Effective in reducing latency times, Providing faster internet access. Besides that, it’s highly versatile and therefore it can be used to connect multiple devices simultaneously.
- Latency Range of fewer than 10 Milliseconds: A short latency time simply means that the time between sending and receiving a signal will be reduced significantly based on its design 5G is expected to at least offer a latency range of fewer than 10 milliseconds. While this is almost half of what an advanced 4G technology can deliver currently. If it’s running in a premium environment then the latency will be just a one millisecond delay this means that the data will always be transmitted in real-time even with thousands of connected devices you can expect 5G to never slow down and this means that will be more effective in offering more device density.
5. Massive Machine Type Communication(MMTC):
5G is decided to provide massive machine type communication. Additional to critical Machine type communication, When we have a big number of IoT devices MMTC can effectively manage the massive number of actuators and sensors sending and receiving data. This includes the likes
- Fleet Management System
- Smart Buildings
- Water/Air Quality Monitoring
With its latency tolerant feature it’s efficient for it to effectively transmit small data blocks. CMTC is generally effective in handling unmanned applications like Electric Grid Control, Traffic Safety Control, and Virtual Healthcare among others.
6. Ultrafast Citizen Services:
This is another area that will improve in smart cities due to the introduction of 5G services the 5th generation technology standard will definitely lead to Ultra-Fast mobile connections. It should be noted that internet connectivity has become an essential part of every industry. Some of the citizen services that can be used with 5G include Healthcare, for instance, O2 mobile an operator in the United Kingdom estimated that introducing 5G enabled virtual healthcare services can help to significantly increase Healthcare.
7. Enhanced Public Security:
The development of smart cities will require a revolutionized system that’s effective in public safety. 5G technology will significantly encase the security of smart cities in relation to public safety, this will happen through the provision of real-time analytics of recorded video content in public spaces. Besides that its effectiveness is enhanced with the use of biometric software that can help to identify harmful situations almost instantly.
This means that authorities will be automatically alerted on time reducing the chances of harm currently CCTV’s are the most used systems for public safety. However, they don’t provide Real-Time analytics as well as data retrieval. On the other hand, 5G enabled equipment can get easily updated over the air furthermore its data management platforms will be able to seamlessly interconnect with various services.
One problem with the current public safety and security measures is the use of wiring systems it’s tedious to install these wires and the maintenance process is quite complicated. Using 5G will help to ensure that security equipment is installed without the need for implementing a wiring system as long as there is mobile network coverage within the location then the equipment can be deployed anywhere its effectiveness can also be enhanced in the use of security devices such as robots and drones.
1. Improved transport systems
2. Enhance Transport Services
3. Intelligent transportation management system
4. Improved Digital Experiences
5. Massive Machine Type Communication(MMTC)
6. Ultrafast Citizen Services
7. Enhanced Public Security
Using 5G will help to ensure that security equipment is installed without the need for implementing a wiring system as long as there is mobile network coverage within the location then the equipment can be deployed anywhere its effectiveness can also be enhanced in the use of security devices such as robots and drones.