India and Pakistan both came under south Asia, have got their independence in 1947. India and Pakistan are neighbors as well as similar in many fields starting from cricket to defense. Here is a comparison of the space research sector of these two countries by analyzing ISRO vs SUPARCO.
ISRO is India’s Space Research Organization, which has made significant achievements since its establishment in 1969. ISRO has already done many satellite launch missions, Science, and planetary missions.
On the other hand, while considering ISRO vs SUPARCO, The Pakistani space agency SUPARCO was formed in 1981. SUPARCO is the abbreviation of the Space and Upper Atmospheric Research Commission. SUPARCO has not gotten more achievements than ISRO. SUPARCO’s major space programs are the development of Communication and Remote Sensing Satellites.
Journey of ISRO vs SUPARCO
SUMMARY OF ISRO:
The Indian Space Research Organisation famously known as ISRO was established on 15 August 1969. It is the space agency of the Government of India and the headquartered in Bengaluru city. Dr. Vikram Sarabhai was the first Administrator & Director of ISRO and played a key role in the formation of ISRO.
India launched its first satellite called “ARYABHATA” on 19th April 1975 with the help of the Soviet Union. India didn’t have its own satellite vehicle then. ISRO made its launching vehicle in 1979 at Sriharikota. On 18th July 1980, ISRO launched its second satellite called ” ROHINI” from SHAR Centre, Sriharikota, India.
The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) launched its 100th satellite on 2nd January 2018 named PSLV-C37.
Founder: Vikram Sarabhai
Founded: 15 August 1969
SUMMARY OF SUPARCO:
Pakistan had actually established its Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission (Suparco) in 1961. Dr. Abdus Salam was the first Administrator & Director of SUPARCO. On 7 June 1962 SUPARCO lunch the Rehbar-I rocket by which Pakistan became the third country in Asia, the first country in South Asia, and the tenth in the world to launch a vessel into outer space.
SUPARCO was established 8 years before ISRO. Their major projects developed by SUPARCO in the Launch vehicle or rocket development are the Rehbar spaceflight program, Hatf Programme, and Shaheen-III.
Founder: Abdus Salam
Founded: 16 September 1961
Headquarters: Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan
ISRO vs SUPARCO:
The Indian Space Research Organisation
Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission
15 AUGUST 1969
16 SEPTEMBER 1961
Country of Origin
INDIA, SOUTH ASIA
PAKISTAN, SOUTH ASIA
Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan
Department of Space, Government of India.
Government of Pakistan.
Achievement of ISRO vs SUPARCO
Achievement of ISRO:
- Mangalyaan: India reached the mars at their very first attempt with a recorded time of 15 months thereby making ISRO the first Asian space agency to be on mars and all the things done with the most low budget.
- On the 15th of February 2017, ISRO created a history by launching 104 satellite successfully Satellite Launch Vehicle program name is PSLV-C37. Launched from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre at Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh. With this program, ISRO beat the Russian space agency.
- Chandrayaan 1&2: Chandrayaan 1 helped us to find water on the moon. Even though the lander of the Chandrayaan 2 failed to do a soft landing on the south pole of the moon, I would commend ISRO for their best efforts.
- ISRO landed our Flag on the Moon in 2008 through Chandrayaan-1.
- India has launched 328 satellites for 34 different countries till the date of 7 November 2020.
Achievement of SUPARCO:
- On 7 June 1962 SUPARCO lunch the Rehbar-I rocket by which Pakistan became the third country in Asia, the first country in South Asia, and the tenth in the world to launch successfully a vessel into outer space. SUPARCO landed a record achievement when it launched the first unmanned solid-fuel sounding rocket by Refbar-I.
- The major projects developed by SUPARCO are the Rehbar spaceflight program, Hatf Programme, and Shaheen-III.
- In the early 80s, SUPARCO started to develop Hatf-I, Hatf-II missiles and M-11 missiles were imported from China for security needs and a factory too was developed for manufacturing missiles with help of China.
- Another major program of SUPARCO is remote sensing satellites called PRSS. It is known as Pakistan Remote Sensing Satellite.
Launch Vehicles ISRO vs SUPARCO:
You Know ISRO is well trusted globally in terms of Launch vehicles. The two main Launch vehicles developed by ISRO are Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) and Geo Synchronous Launch Vehicle (GSLV), they use these variants in several missions.
Due to the trustworthiness of ISRO launch vehicles, many space agencies are depending on ISRO’s satellite launch vehicles to place their satellites in orbit.
In terms of launch Vehicles between Isro vs SUPARCO, SUPARCO never has been noticeable achievements in the launch vehicles segment.
The major projects done by SUPARCO in Launching vehicles or rocket development are the Rehbar spaceflight program, Hatf Programme, and Shaheen-III.
Rehbar is a type of sounding rocket, it carried a payload of 36kg to the upper atmosphere, and with this Pakistan became the tenth nation in the world that achieve this.
Haft program is a secret rocket development program done by SUPARCO and the information disclosed by the Pakistan army in 1980. It is a missile program and they are claiming it reached an altitude of 480 km.
Another Major program by SUPARCO is Shaheen-III but is also considered as a ballistic missile with solid propellant.
In Comparison between ISRO vs SUPARCO, SUPARCO doesn’t even have anything like the Liquid propellant engine or the cryogenic engine. Will ISRO use this for their launch vehicle and SUPARCO doesn’t have any plan to develop such launchers.
Satellites Between ISRO vs SUPARCO
Aryabhatta was the 1st satellite mission of ISRO. It was launched in 1975 in a Russian rocket with in rule of Soviet Union. After this ISRO indigenously developed and launched many satellites, they include communication satellites, earth observation satellites, navigation, and space science.
Fisrt communication satellite launched by ISRO in 1982 and Now India has a large constellation of operational communication satellites and also it’s the largest domestic communication satellite constellation in Asia pacific.
In respect with ISRO vs SUPARCO comaprison the first communication satellite of SUPARCO was launched in 2011. The first communication satellite was developed and launched with the support from China is PakSat-1R.
On the other hand, ISRO’s satellites are initially launched by Europian Space Agencies Ariane rocket and now ISRO’s have there own GSLV Mk iii and other GSLV variants to do this.
Remote sensing satellites called PRESS is a Another major program of SUPARCO. SUPARCO is claiming that this satellite program developed was with the help and support of some space agency.
ISRO’s was started remote sensing satellite mission with IRS 1A in 1988 and Today ISRO has one of the largest constellations of remote sensing satellites in the world. ISRO launched some of the earth observational and remote sensing satellites are CARTOSAT, RISAT- 2B, Oceansat and Resource sat.
Future Plan of ISRO VS SUPARCO
Space Research is considered as the impotent key to the bright future of all nations so every country is trying to reach space and explore much as they can.
ISRO has many future missions which we are going to happen soon:
- Shukrayaan 1
- Aditya L1
- Chandrayaan 3
- A future Indian space station
- Three astronauts will be sent to space for seven days on board Gaganyaan.
- SUPARCO is going to send a space traveler in a Chinese space flight program in 2022.
- SUPARCO is planning to make its own Satellite Vehicle by the year, 2040. The Space Programme 2040 intends to replace the Badr satellite program and geostationary communication satellite.
Conclusion of ISRO vs SUPARCO
SUPARCO is lagging behind with the comparison to ISRO. Reason why? Because ISRO made its own infrastructure and started launching satellites and successful space missions. India has launched 328 satellites for 34 different countries as of 7 November 2020 but Pakistan has launched only 5 satellites so far.
In the ’60s and ’70s, SUPARCO had well named in all world but now SUPARCO sees behind many of the countries because of lack of infrastructure and resources. The first communication satellite of SUPARCO was launched in 2011 but ISRO did this on 19 June 1981. So this is the comparison between ISRO vs SUPARCO.
What Happened to SUPARCO Oldest Space Agency?
The government of Pakistan is not mainly focused to enhance the condition of SUPARCO. The government shifted all the funds associated with SUPARCO to the atomic bomb project because of this Pakistan’s space agency failed to take off. The annual budget of ISRO is 1.5 billion and the annual budget of SUPARCO is 40.8 million, it shows why SUPARCO lack. Pakistan currently has no launch vehicles of its own and is not capable of launching and placing a satellite in orbit on its own.
QnA from Comaprison between ISRO vs SUPARCO
Fifth (5TH) place in the world.
Yes, You Know ISRO is well trusted globally in terms of Launch vehicles. SUPARCO never has been noticeable achievements in the launch vehicles segment. Today ISRO has one of the largest constellations of remote sensing satellites in the world. ISRO launched some of the earth observational and remote sensing satellites are CARTOSAT, RISAT- 2B, Oceansat and Resource sat.
SpaceX’s, 96 percent success rate.
Dr Vikram Sarabhai
The Rocket & Satellite Company (TRSC)